Let's consider Nads, under 25 female living in CA. She's one of the Invincibles, the under 35s, usually single, or dinks(double income no kids) who fore go purchasing Health Insurance because they don't see the value in it. They're invincible, right?
- She gets to jump on her parents insurance, but she can still be denied for medical reasons, up until 2014.
- Premiums will go up because of mandated requirements of coverage, because...
- She'll be mandated to have insurance, or pay a penalty, but...
- The penalty is shit, 1% of income or $95 whichever is greater.
- Ergo, she'll opt out of buying coverage, thus less insured to help defer the costs of others, which is the point of insurance. "to pool risk"
- She'll still pay for name brand R/x b/c of the BIG Pharma deal.
- This could still all go away...
Now, here's my opinion. We'll see a spike in premiums, then a few repeal, reform, whatevers. Eventually, we'll see Lizards with Foreign accents selling Health Insurance. Sure, it'll be cheap, like car insurance. Also, it'll only work when you get completely injured or serious ill. Like wrecking your car. Gas and oil? You're on your own.
So who won? Demos? Nope. Repubs? Nope.
The winners are BIG Pharma, the insurance companies, the AMA, large unions, and any association that profits by "fighting" for some medical cause.
They have lobbyists. You have a House Rep and Senator. You lose.