Monday, March 10, 2008

Scrum Half Beats Cancer...

---------- Forwarded message ----------From: Matthew R. Eason <Matthew@capcitylaw.com>Date: Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 9:48 AMSubject: NCRFU Disciplinary Chair's Unauthorized Use of E-mail ListTo: "Matthew R. Eason" <Matthew@capcitylaw.com>
Yes, I'm using my e-mail list in a way that was not intended, but I hope you will forgive me. As some of you may know, I coach a junior high rugby team in Sacramento, the Land Park Motley. I had a 6th grader show up to practice the first day that was demonstrably smaller then anyone else. I contemplated suggesting that he not play this year, but wait until he grew a little larger. Then I read his medical release, and did some investigation. Lucas "Tino" Luigi at the age of seven was diagnosed with terminal cancer. His chance of success was so remote that his insurance company did not cooperate in the payment of the aggressive treatment he needed if he were to beat the cancer. The local community rallied to raise funds and held fund raising events. About five years ago, I personally attended one of the events not even knowing the family, never-the-less the young man. "Tino" underwent a series of excruciatingly painful treatments, and returned home in hopes of surviving. Everyone's hopes were answered when he "beat" cancer, and now lives a "normal" life only suffering some hearing loss. He is now one of my star scrumhalves. The rugby connection became even more profound this last Saturday. Tino's new teammate, Aiden Flynn another 6th grader who scored his first try on a play set up by Tino, decided to shave his head in honor of his scrum-half as a fundraising effort in conjunction with the St. Baldrick's foundation. I hope that you will join me in helping Aiden meet his goal of raising "$50" to support his rugby brother. You can Go to this website to help.http://www.stbaldricks.org/participants/shavee_info.html?ParticipantKey=2008-36707 Matt Eason

No comments:

Post a Comment